A skilled litigator and trial attorney, Ben has built his reputation through the successful representation of a wide array of individuals and entities in a variety of complex personal injury, criminal defense, and federal cases, including trying numerous cases to verdict in state and federal courts.
Benjamin W. Hill is a personal injury and criminal defense attorney. He is the founder of the Law Office of Benjamin W. Hill, PLLC, and was previously a partner at one of the region’s top litigation and white-collar criminal defense firms. Ben has been repeatedly recognized as one of the area’s “Rising Stars” and has been involved in some of the area’s most high-profile cases.
Ben graduated summa cum laudewith University Honors from Ohio Wesleyan University in 2003 with a triple-major in International Studies, History, and Spanish. He obtained a law degree from the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, cum laude, in 2006, which included a year abroad in Tegucigalpa, Honduras as a FulbrightScholar. Ben served as a law clerk for the Honorable Randolph F. Treece, a federal judge in the Northern District of New York before beginning his career as a trial attorney.
Ben has recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for clients in wrongful death, product liability, construction/industrial accident, car/truck accident, nursing home abuse/medical malpractice, civil rights, sexual abuse, and other cases. He is fluent in Spanish and has represented Spanish-speaking clients throughout the Capital District in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Ben also defends individuals and corporations charged with serious crimes in both the state and federal courts, with significant experience in white-collar criminal investigations and proceedings, including government and regulatory investigations, internal investigations and contested administrative/regulatory proceedings. Examples include honest services fraud, wire/mail fraud, Hobbs Act/extortion, Medicaid/Medicare fraud and False Claims Act, Civil RICO, tampering/obstruction of justice, and other federal and state criminal matters including drug conspiracy and firearm cases.
In addition to the trial courts for New York and Massachusetts, Ben is admitted to practice in the U.S. Federal Court for the Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York, the District of Vermont, and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Part of the trial team that successfully defended former State Senator Joe Bruno.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment and dismissal of federal civil rights action brought against the former executive of the New York State Thruway Authority.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of Special Prosecutor’s Indictment filed against a former Rensselaer County District Attorney.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment and dismissal of a multi-million-dollar taxpayer action brought against a County Attorney.
- Dismissal with prejudice of charges brought in a federal drug conspiracy case.
Sealed Records and Sex Abuse Cases Brought Under 42 U.S.C. § 1983
(NYSBA Journal, February 2013)
Drafting 101: Complaints and Removal Papers
(CLE Panelist, NDNY Bar Association, March 2013)
Representing Your Client in Federal Court
(CLE Panelist, National Business Institute, October 2013)
Introduction to Criminal Cases in Federal Court
(CLE Panelist, NDNY Bar Association, November 2015)
Honest Services Fraud after Skilling
(CLE Panelist, NDNY Bar Association August 2017)
- The College of Saint Rose, Adjunct Professor of Criminal Law, Evidence, Comparative Law (2012-2015)
- Marist College, Adjunct Professor of Constitutional Law (2007-2008)